I’m going to deviate from face & body beauty care today, to something less spoken of but just as important – looking after your lady parts. I know a lot of you are going to squirm over this post, and yes even I’m slightly uncomfortable sharing, but I can’t not share this amazing product. Whilst I haven’t had a period in 8 months, I have experienced another down-there issue that’s so common with pregnancy. Thanks to all those amazing hormones and changes, protecting and growing your little one, pregnant women experience a range of changes from increased discharge to bladder leakage. I’m told this all normalizes afterwards but meanwhile I’m going through a pack of pantyliners a week.
Whilst I do only use organic products for that area, most pads etc are not biodegradable thanks to their leak-proof plastic backing. This has always been a bit of a sore spot for me as I’ve tried to steer clear of all unsustainable products wherever possible. When I saw this product pop up on Nourished Life recently, I just had to give them a try.
Modibodi is fashionable, comfortable, highly technical underwear, designed to empower women by protecting them against life’s annoying but very common unmentionables – sweat, light bladder leaks, menstrual onset, menstrual overflow/spotting, discharge, odour and breast milk leaks.
Modibodi™ use only the highest of quality, technically superior natural and synthetic fabrics (Bamboo, Merino Perform Wool and Microfibre) and the latest in fibre technologies, with our patented Modifier Technology™ – a breathable, super slim, moisture wicking, absorbent, antimicrobial, stain resistant, leak proof lining andModifier Air Technology™– a breathable, moisture wicking, antimicrobial lining.
So yes, technically the pants aren’t 100% natural but they are still very breathable and mostly sustainable (100’s of wears is way better than single wear, like a pantyliner).
How to use
These aren’t built in pads – they’re built in pantyliners. They’re designed to be worn with a primary form of protection (i.e. tampon or menstrual cup for those eco-conscious ladies) or when you’ve only got a light flow (i.e. days 4-5 or in between periods).
I purchased the Modibodi Period Proof Lace Boyleg in Black ($28.50). These are designed to protect you from light periods and leaks each month. There’s a decent range of styles to choose from, but they mostly centre around the black/brief theme. No g-bangers here!
Things I love:
- They’re super comfy – even with my growing belly causing everything to be tight
- They actually work! I did feel drier & fresher
- Unlike another reusable liner I tried, you don’t feel the hidden protection. It never feels like you’re walking around with a towel between your legs. They’re incredibly thin and comfy. I thought the waterproof lining might make it crunchy or stiff, but they actually feel completely normal.
- No bunchy or moving. I really hate my liner riding up or somehow managing to fold itself over. You don’t get these problems when the liner is built in though!
- Following on from the last point, no paper bits being stuck to your bits! Yay!
- Whilst they cost a little more than your standard pair of undies, they are great quality and will save you & the environment in the long run.
- They’re prettier than standard period underwear — don’t pretend you don’t know what I mean!
Not so good:
- If you’re using pantyliners to keep your pants clean, you probably wont love these. Obviously, you can’t pull the liner off and be left with a fresh pair of pants. If you live with other people this may not be what you want to leave lying around in the dirty clothes basket, especially if you’re using them for period protection. I do have a solution though – do the washing that day or don’t let someone you’re not comfortable with do that washing.
- Limited colour range – this is probably a good thing though. Obviously period pants must be black unless you don’t mind the sight of weird yellowish stains on your underpants. The Classic Air Bikini is moisture wicking (designed for wetness & sweat) and the obvious exception, as it’s available in a neutral tone. However, this is clearly not designed for period protection.
I will definitely be buying more and maybe stocking up with some Breastfeeding Singlet’s (I’m told leaky boobs are the next thing I get to look forward to!). They’re comfy and nice enough to wear every day, not just period days, to keep you feeling fresh and protected.