What on earth did I wear before BB creams? Probably the second greatest invention, after mascara, of the century. Back when I was at school I tried the minimal makeup thing and used a tinted moisturiser (spoiler alert, they’re rubbish). Obviously, a little tint in a moisturiser was not going to cover my teenage acne so I ended up doubling up my coverage with concealer, foundation, powders, camouflage cream… you get the idea! When BB creams first hit the market I assumed they were just tinted moisturisers, re-branded, and was pretty hesitant to give them a try.
But, as you are now probably aware I have a problem, I bought one anyway.
La Mav Organic BB Cream was the second BB Cream I tried (first one was great too, but the sunscreen ingredient was a little questionable). I must admit, it was reading it’s reviews that sold me on the product. Things like, “glowing results” and “great coverage” piped my interest.
What’s a BB Cream?
BB creams are quite new to the scene, particularly Australian organic BB creams, the BB stands for Blemish Balm, they’re an all purpose foundation rolled into one (moisturiser, primer, foundation, sunscreen).
About La Mav Organic BB Crème
La Mav Organic BB Crème is the ultimate multi-tasker and must have product for your makeup bag. Not only the perfect colour balancing makeup base, La Mav Organic BB Crème also provides an anti-ageing remedy and natural protection from the sun all whilst leaving your skin feeling smooth, radiant and hydrated. Reduce your daily makeup routine down to one highly effective product that is easy to apply and very affordable. La Mav BB Crème is perfect for those with hypersensitive skin, or conditions such as Rosacea, Eczema and Acne.
Infused with Vitamin C and Rosehip Oil La Mav Organic BB Crème treats the skin’s impurities whilst also providing anti-ageing benefits and nourishment for long lasting results. Apply La Mav Organic BB Crème daily on top of your La Mav moisturizer for a noticeably flawless and radiant complexion.
Can be used alone, or with a dusting of mineral powder on top for extra coverage.
To use, apply a small amount to clean skin. Blend gently with fingertips for even coverage. Suitable for all skin tones and types!
What I loved
- Nice even coverage which feels nice and light. One pump is generally great for my good skin days, and two will give me a medium-foundation coverage. It blends easily. I like that it’s quite build-able in this way, without looking dry or cakey.
- It seemed to enhance my skin tone and make it look more vibrant. I look way healthier with it on!
- Matte finish – very natural looking. They only give away is your flawless skin, otherwise your skin never looks made-up
- Below: I’m wearing one pump of La Mav BB Cream and blush – but that’s it on the skin. I don’t think I’ve ever claimed to be photogenic
- Some BB creams (& foundations) I’ve tried kind of feel sticky on the skin. You need to follow up with powder just to fix that feeling. This cream feels very natural on your skin, no weird residue remains.
- Lasts all day
- Good sunscreen coverage – no need for two products & I never got sun burnt wearing it!
- I was a little worried about the colour, based on reviews, and whether it would suit my fair, cool skin tone but was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps the lighting in my bedroom is too warm and I couldn’t tell, or my face/neck blending is on point?
- Good value for money. At $39.95 for 50ml, it’s comparable to a foundation but really lasts the distance. I’ve been using mine daily for about 6 months and am only now just nearing the end.
What’s not so great
It’s sold as a ‘one shade fits all’ product, or “colour adaptive formula”. Is this true? Yes and no.
It does throw slightly red, so if you’ve got a cooler or yellow-based skin tone it can look a little obvious. But to be honest, I didn’t realise this until I was nearing the end of the product so perhaps it’s not actually a problem!
I’ve read reviews about those with darker skin too having problems. For those more on the olive side than the fair side and it can be a little orange .
Either way, if you’re really pale, cool skin toned, yellow skin toned or really dark, you may like to get a sample first before you buy.
I would buy it again; I loved the coverage and finish.
La Mav is booming! You can readily pick up their products now from good health food shops and online. Here’s a sample of online stockists (in no particular order):