In Australia, over 30 million toothbrushes are disposed of each year, which creates around 1,000 tonnes of plastic waste. Worldwide there’s over 4.7 Billion plastic toothbrushes produced every year. That’s an island of waste right there! We know plastic doesn’t degrade and typically ends up in landfill or worse, the ocean. If there’s a way to reduce your plastic wouldn’t you jump on the chance? Good news – there is, bamboo toothbrushes!
Bamboo toothbrushes are a brilliant alternative. Bamboo is a wonder material. Because it grows so fast, it’s way more sustainable than traditional wood. Technically considered a member of the grass family, bamboo is the fastest growing plant on earth, and is incredibly abundant. It regenerates itself prolifically with minimal water and without the need for harmful pesticides – in fact harvesting and using the bamboo helps to control unwanted spread into agricultural and natural forest areas.
Buy a Bamboo Toothbrush
Ready to try one?
The Environmental Toothbrush
Invented by a Brisbane dentist, The Environmental Toothbrush is a simple solution to reducing plastic waste from toothbrushes in Australia.
Made from bamboo, a natural cellulose fibre, they are biodegradable, environmentally sustainable, and do not pollute the environment. The bamboo for these toothbrushes is grown by small farmers (ie not on plantations) in China. Even their packaging is bio-degradable.
- Heat-treated, water-resistant bamboo handle prevents the growth of microbes during normal use.
- Bristles made from a polymer resistant to microbial growth during normal use, to ensure safety and durability.
- Safe disposal by returning it to earth in compost or landfill. Both the bamboo and bristles will biodegrade into soil, without pollution.
- Available in three styles – adult soft, adult medium and child’s soft.
The Eco Toothbrush is another one I’ve just been introduced to. It’s a specialty bamboo brush with charcoal enhanced bristles. You may have heard of charcoal for it’s teeth whitening benefits. This brush combines bamboo and charcoal to give you a better clean, with nano technology in far infrared and odor absorbing brilliance.
- The bristles are a degradable polymer bristle that has been enhanced with bamboo charcoal to give it many fantastic properties.
- The bamboo charcoal enhanced bristles are more moisture proof and antibacterial than normal bristles which can help to keep the bristles dry, keep away from bacterium breeding, leaving the mouth more comfortable, healthy with clean, and white teeth.
- Helps prevention of tooth decay
- Has a strong tooth whitening effect and freshness after brushing.
- Available in adult soft & medium and child’s soft.
Buy a 12 pack for $39.95 from their website.
Buy a Go Bamboo toothbrush from shopnaturally.com.au for $4.95 each.
Live in the US? Brush with Bamboo is a great, local alternative. Buy a 4 pack for $19.95 direct from their website.
They’re a pretty simple design – there’s no 360° action or tongue cleaner, it’s just a good old fashioned toothbrush. That being said, you don’t actually need all the extras. A good dental hygiene routine will keep your mouth healthy and free of cavities, not additional plastic scrubbers.
I’ve been using a bamboo toothbrush for about a year now and I have no complaints (and neither does my dentist!). I choose soft bristles and find its gentle on my teeth and gums. The brush is small enough to get right up the back of my mouth too.
When you’re done with it, chuck it or compost it. Either way, it’ll degrade in no time. I’ve heard of people using them for planter posts with their seedlings too, which is pretty cool.
And did I mention? Making the switch will reduce the amount of non-biodegradable plastic entering landfills each year. Brilliant.
Want to try one for free? I’ve got Eco Toothbrushes to try. Comment below and tell me why you want one, or share a way you reduce your plastic waste. I’ll post one out to a lovely reader! Aussie readers only.