This is my favourite skin-clearing mask. It’s nothing fancy, but it’s life changing. It helps moisturise, clear blemishes, even skin tone, exfoliate, brighten your complexion, & so much more! The best thing about it is it’s super easy to make and you probably have the ingredients already in your pantry.
Honey, nutmeg & cinnamon all have curative properties that help to prevent infection and reduce swelling, and may actually help new skin growth.
- Honey is antibacterial, which means it’s great for acne. It’s also a humectant, which is a natural moisturising agent. Use raw honey for best results as it’s full of naturally occurring antibacterial agents – the stuff in supermarkets is heat treated which can kill a lot of goodness off. I buy mine from a local supplier at the local markets.
- Nutmeg contains several potent substances, one of which is mace or Myristica fragrans. A study published in the Journal of Natural Products found that mace “exhibited strong antifungal and antibacterial activities.” Ayurvedic medicine promotes nutmeg for its astringent and anti-inflammatory properties;
- Cinnamon is an antiseptic which will help reduce the bacteria on the surface of your skin to aid in the prevention of pimples and even help dry out existing pimples. It also stimulates and revitalizes the skin by drawing blood, oxygen and nutrients to the surface of your skin, leaving your skin healthy & glowing.
Using this mask weekly dramatically decreases the size and redness of any type of acne. Consistent application will help reduce scarring too.
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tsp Honey (use raw honey, if possible)
- Optional: 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
Add a little honey to form a paste:
Cinnamon may cause your skin to tingle. If it’s burning or uncomfortable just wash it off. The recipe will still be effective without it, if you want to try it again.
Note: if you add turmeric it will stain your skin a little. Just make sure you wash your face well afterwards and dry using a dark coloured towel (in case any residual colour transfers). I little toner will help lift any remaining colour.
Rinse your face off well and follow up with your favourite moisuriser. Use regularly/weekly for best results.