I traditionally use black mascara’s, but have often read about why brown is a great choice on those with fairer skin or blonde hair. Black mascara doesn’t suit everyone, so this is the answer.
The Ere Perez Sunflower Oil Mascara comes in a gorgeous, velvety dark brown colour that accentuates length naturally and compliments fair skins and hair colour.
Ere Perez Natural Cosmetics is one of my favourite cosmetics brands. Not only do they make great stuff, they’re also a great Australian company who pump their products full of natural oils, plant extracts and minerals so not only do they work well, they’re good for you and the environment. Plus they never test on animals. I do love a cruelty free company! Learn a little more about them in this extract, taken straight from their website:
We pride ourselves in supplying healthy natural make up that suits every skin type. We carefully select our ingredients such as oils, plant extracts and minerals and blend them with antioxidants to create a gentle, highly effective, quick and easy natural make-up solution.
What is it? A long-lasting brown mascara made with sunflower oil.
It can also be used as an eyebrow tint and groomer, if you have dark eyebrows. This trick would definitely not work on me!
What does it achieve? A smooth non-greasy formula straight from nature to coat your lashes, adding shine and colour.
Because it’s non-drying, it also wont flake or smear. Ere Perez doesn’t use alcohol in their mascaras like other brands, they use oil and waxes instead.
This water-resistant mascara really holds up – it’s splash proof and tear proof. I tested it to make sure.
What’s so good about the ingredients? Sunflower oil yields a lightweight soothing and replenishing oil rich in unsaturated linoleic and oleic fatty acids and Vitamin E.
What’s in it?
Beeswax (cera alba), carnauba (copernicia cerifera) wax, palm kernel (elaeis guineensis) wax, soybean (gyicine soja) seed oil, Dimethicone, calcium stearate, mamey oil, Avocado, sunflower (helianthus annuus) oil, sweet almond (prunus amygdalus dulcis) oil, isopropyl palmitate, palmitic acid, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), orange (citrus aurantium dulcis) oil, lemon (citrus medica limonum) oil, bergamot (citrus bergamia) oil, iron oxides
Know what you’re buying. If you’re not familiar with the brand or their ethos, always check the ingredients before you buy to make sure you’re not getting any nasties.
How to Apply
- Easy to use with a bendable brush for expert application. Always apply as the last step in your makeup routine.
- Simply dip wand into container, wipe excess mascara on the rim and apply in upward strokes to the underside of your lashes. Apply several layers to build colour on top lashes, and a single layer to bottom.
- Apply to eyebrows to shape them in upwards motions, then straighten out the top line – only if you have dark eyebrows though!
Keep in mind I have fair, blonde lashes without much thickness (thanks gene pool).
What I love
- Your lashes stay soft even with the product on – no dry, stiff lashes here
- The colour is rich and strong
- It is pretty water resistant. You can sweat or have a cry and it won’t smudge.
- Doesn’t clump. You can even reapply it when it’s dry and it will still go on beautifully.
- The ingredients all nourish, strengthen and condition your lashes while you wear it.
- Doesn’t sting my eyes. I wear contacts so this is a non negotiable. I must have safe, non toxic products around my eyes.
- It’s not tested on animals
What I don’t love
- It doesn’t do anything special – it colours your lashes and that’s about it. No fat lashes, volume or curl. Just a standard mascara.
- Not as long wearing as I would like, but it is easy to reapply on top of the existing coat.
- The brush isn’t the best. It’s quite a generic mascara brush. These kinds of brushes I find hard to apply neatly, I end up with little spots on my lash line where the brush comes into contact with my skin. Because of the products formula it wipes off so easily with a cotton tip, but it’s still annoying to have this problem.
I will admit, brown actually looks far more natural and complimentary on me. It’s less obvious I’m wearing makeup as it works better with my skin tone. For blondes who prefer a more natural look, I highly recommend this mascara. For blondes like me who don’t care for a natural look (just a natural product), maybe this isn’t the right one for you.
That being said, not everyone likes the false eyelash look like I do. So if you want a mascara that enhances your lashes and compliments your skin tone you may love this mascara.
Where to buy it
Buy it directly from ereperez.com, health food shops and good pharmacies for $29.95
If you prefer a black mascara but like how this one works, Ere Perez makes a Natural Almond Oil Mascara in a glossy black.
If you found this post helpful, feel free to share it with your friends.
- Love Ere Perez products and want more reviews? See my review of their Oat Milk Foundation.
- Have you tried this mascara? What are your thoughts? Share them below.